READrevolution focuses on books that will teach and uplft my (African American) culture. It is posited on the the POWER of reading for transformation of self and community.

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Outliers- Malcolm Gladwell


The first book suggested Outliers: The Story of Successby Malcolm Gladwell.

I recently finished reading this and it relates almost directly to African Americans in the United States. I am not biased. I am only human. Every human reads and analyses from his own eyes and skin. The jist of the book was that the 'Outliers' of our society: Bill Gates, The Beatles, Bill Joy, etc...became extraordinarily successful not only because of raw talent but from OPPORTUNITY and PRACTICE. Gladwell speaks of the 10,000 rule which states that only excellence in craft can be found after practicing on it for at least 10,000 hours. However, one must be given the opportunity to practice at that craft AND be given that opportunity at a young age. AAAHHHAAA!!! I state with confidence if some of my extremely talented hometown friends of Chester, Pennsylvania (avg income 25,000) were given the opportunity and investment there would be many more 'Outliers' walking among us.

Thus I stress, we must be determined to educate, encourage and enlighten OUR children outside the system becuase the schools are only providing what is given to them (which ain't much). Gladwell mentioned the KIPP schools that operate from dawn til dusk giving low income children the extra edge/push needed to level their talents with others.

Since reading this book, I am even more excited to continue to teach my daughters above and beyond their educational and cultural environments.



LETS READ YALL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment